Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mammo Wammo

7/1/08


So I've taken several guilt-ridden weeks away from my village, language, family, JOB-- to take the pricey trip to Dakar with Mariama to do something about her 4 year old gigantic breast tumor... And how glad am I to have done this only to have the hospital send us off each 30 mille poorer with the advice, "Drink lots of milk and don't eat spicey food"?


That's right. Take down your pink ribbons and stop the marches. We've found the cure for breast cancer right here in Dakar. Milk and no spices! Who knew? The doctors who gave Mariama a mammogram and ultrasound (not biopsy), that's who!


To be fair, they also said she could get medicine in Kédougou, but did not five us a prescription. I couldn't get anything else out of them. I'm wondering if they knew it was so far gone it was a lost cause? Maybe they said the milk thing just so Mariama wouldn't lose all hope? So I tried to stiffle my rage and disbelief... but... REALLY?



MILK?



It feels insensative and inappropriate to write this now, but the trip wasn't a total lost cause for me... I got to have FRENCH FRIES, ICE CREAM, PIZZA, FALAFEL, COLD DRINKS, MOVIES, TOILETS, SHOWERS, and FRIENDS. Of course, I'd prefer sound medical advice, but since I have no choice, I'll accept the consolation prize.

No comments: