Sunday, March 23, 2008

DAY DEUX

-Pulaar lesson: "askugol"= to recite geneology. "d[<-implosive]aanikinaade"= to pretend to sleep. "n/g[letter not on keyboard]aaminkinaade"= to pretend to sleep

-Ma famile sat around and gawked at my photos (not the inappropriate ones hidden behind) (by "inappropriate I unfortunately only mean tank tops and bathing suits and other un-muslim apparel) They said they were "jolie" and did not seem to understand snow.

-I was able to carry at lest 30 second conversations in pulaar in which "uhhhh" only took up about a third!

-Mamadou and I played poking and high 5. More on this steller creature later.

-SOAP

-Baby Ami cries every time she sees me. I don't know WHY I thought playing "peekaboo" would help. The poor thing won't sleep for weeks with visions of grinning toubabs jumping into her head

-a bunch of kids/ teenagers yelled toubab at me in the street so of course my friend and I whirled around in response (I've taken to responding, "Oui, Je m'appele toubab"). They wanted my apple core. They got it. Maybe there's some weird underground toubab merchandise e-bay here.

No comments: