Monday, March 24, 2008

Dead Rat

Cinq
-Taught little boys Mamadou and Amadou how to play hand-slapping game. Am now basically a superhero.
-I HAVE A PHONE. will email number if you want it. Free for me if you call!.... I got it at a good time. It was our first day to bike home and what do I find but a flat tire! We don't have pumps yet and I didn't know my address for a taxi or my family's numbers. Instead I bothered all the PC people who got a busdriver to come and bring me chez-moi, overtime. Also over-soccer ball. I think we're all pretty lucky it stopped there.
-First African beer= Gazelle= cold= delicious!
-The annoying megaphone prayers that sing every few hours through the night sound like they're singing "Diaraye" (my name) now and it's very distracting.
-We have a mango tree
-I saw a dead rat today that was larger than many cats. My friend took a picture which I will have to steal.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Katie,
Thank you for including me in your blog; it is exciting and fascinating to read! I can picture what you're experiencing and am so impressed with your patience and positive attitude! I can't wait to see pictures, once it's OK for you to take them. I also can't wait to find out what's on the roof!
Leslie Bell

Allison said...

the scientific name for your dead friend is CAT-RAT... would advise you to get used to them.

your phone call kind of made my life, and your blog is amazing.

Sarah Cortright said...

A rat bigger than a cat! That makes me feel like a wimp for squealing when I saw a mouse in my closet the other day.
Kate, I love reading this! It's so interesting! I feel like I am there and already in just two weeks it seems as though you have experienced so much. YAY!
<3 sarah

Cynthia said...

Dear Superhero,
Your thoughts and experiences are so interesting - can't wait for the pix too! Stay safe and happy,
Love love love, one of your favorite aunts

Mary Beth said...

I just discovered that UF offers classes in Wolof, which kind of makes me like this place a little better. Also, you inspired me to read about the effects of damming on Lac de Guiers (in NW Senegal) for class. This has nothing to do with cat-rats, but I wanted to share anyway. XOXO and Rasputin and Bob Kazin say O Fortuna to your pink pannies.