Sunday, September 7, 2008

Snapshots: Toubab Diallaw It!

SO much fun

-You can't even picture how cool the campement is from architectural quirks alone. I'll just have to take you there if you visit and you'll have your own photos!

-Assy and me, talking up the fishermen in Pulaar, french, and sign language. Too bad they only spoke Wolof. But they still offered us boat rides and free fish!

-Roxy got bird pooed in the face. This is way funnier if you know Roxy. Ten minutes earlier we both got a little doo on our shirts so we'd used our last napkin for that. So she wailed and I laughed, and she spit into her hand to clean it off. Nothing but class here in the Peace Corps.

-It may not be appropriate to picture our midnight swim (ahem Booboo and MB), but you can picture how cool thunderous black waves looked when lit periodically by distant lightening

-The old guy trying to pick me up while I ate an omelette. Since he was overly confident in his english, I toyed with him. I got him to sing "hotel california" and then proceeded to drill him on the song's pôssible metephors. I told him I was staying at said hotel. When he expressed great interest in joining me, I suggested he go ahead and wait for me in CA. Once he got that this was a joke, he grinned and asked brokenly if I was playing cat-and-mouse. I'm only the cat, I said. Mice are delicious. I usually eat them with chopsticks (new vocab for him), but it just so happened I was having a mouse omelette at that moment.I love being dominant in a language. Life is more fun when you're fluent.

-Lunch at the hotel: Assy and I found ourselves in the odd situation of being surrounded by vacationing toubabs. We kept starting to talk about them in front of them in english, because this is a privalege we take for granted in the rest of the country. Too bad that doesn't fly here. Luckily, we realized we could just switch to Pulaar and babbled hapily away about everyone around us.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you're having a good vacation. From my 9 years in Velingara I can imagine you need it! Would any of your Pulaar-speaking friends like free copies of a paper in Pulaar? See http://soon.org.uk/fulani/free-papers.php

We mail them free of charge if specifically requested.

Thanks, Jane