Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Spike Your Nalgene, We Suggest

8/17
We came back to Thiés to recieve further training now that we have a better idea of what would benefit our regions. I'm attempting to brush up on some french, learn about so,e NGOs, tree nurseries, gardening, baby-weighing, school lesson plans...

An unintended result of being here is that Roxy, Mary, and I have discovered we probably have the worst food situations in country. We had some classes on addressing nutrition in which other volunteers expressed concerns about having too much oil, fish, sugar, rice, eggplant, etc. in their diets, or getting kids to eat more of the vegetables already IN the bowls. I found it impossible not to become embittered. On the other hand, it's partially gratifying. I'd been struggling this whole time wondering how everyone else was doing all this without complaining. Now I know they're NOT doing the same. I will pat myself on the back and suck it up. I can't really complain when this is just a temporary lifestyle for me. My villagers are stuck with it.

Anyway, a perk to our 20-hour-away placements is that no one in Thiès speaks our language. Well, in itself, that's not a perk.. But everyone else has to actually practice their languages in nearby villages. We get to rock around Thiès and buy ice cream whenever we want. It works out appropriately since we all lost weight. And, Thiès is fun! We recently discovered a small swimming pool and BUMPER CARS. The name of the latter misleads since NO ONE BUMPS. People are so unused to driving that they prefer to just drive serenely around in slow circles. Then we came in. They didn't seem to appreciate our pro-contact method. When the attendents had to keep coming to fix our circuit poles, we realized that these not-so-bumper cars really just aren't meant to bump. Shame.

The highlight of IST thus far would be our volunteer talent show. Ris MCed and there was talent no hewi. Mary, Roxy, and I performed an altered Disney-medley with some noteworthy dance moves. Are you imagining insane amounts of talent in that? You should be, because WE WON THE TALENT SHOW. That's right.

LYRICS OF WINNING NUMBER:
¤to the tune of Aladdin's "I Can Show You the World"¤
I can show you my world
Sweaty smelly and diiiiirty
Tell me toubab now when did you last
Let your sweat get dry?
I can see my demise
Standards lower and lower,
Taxis, alhams go slower
Than a dirty sept place ride
A peace corps world
(K:) Don't you dare shit your pants!
A hundred ice-cream fantasies
I'm like a shitting star (¤great dance move¤)
I've come so far
I cant go back to Les Etats-Unissssss
(K, M:) Can't go back to Les Etats-Uniiiiiiiiiiss!

(To tune of Little Mermaid's "Part of That World")

(R:)I've got ameobas and rashes a plenty
(M:)I've got schisto and shits galore
(K:)You want parasites?
(R:)I've got 20!
But who cares? No bit deal,
I'll get moreeeee
I want to be where the pizza is
I wanna see, wanna see it cooking
Drinking a lot of those,
(R:)What do you call em?
(K, M:) FLLLLAAAAGGGSS!!!!!
Up where they eat shit tons of meat
Up where they cover up their teets
Laundry is clean, wish I could be
Part of that worldddddd

(¤To tune of Beauty and the Beast's "Be Our Guest"¤)
(M:- making O with body) OOOOOOOOOOOO
(K-same:) RRRRRRRRRRR
(R:) S!
O R S!
Puts our fevers to a rest
Tie your pagne round your waist cherie
And zen lift up your dress!
Leaf du jour, not superb
But we're only here to serve
(M:) Try the Kossan!
(K:)It's suspicious!
(R:)On my stomach it's quite vicious!
(M:) Think it's tasty?
(K:) Not a chance!
(R:) Once again I've shit my pants!
And the dinner here is always such a messssss
(¤running man dance, usually where we lost it¤)
Come on lekkal cheb jen
Clean your pants and then
(¤miming wiping butt, also impossible not to crack up¤)
Have ORS! If you're stressed
(K:) Spike your nalgene we suggest!
ORS ORS ORSSSSSSSSS!

(¤To tune of Lion King's "Hakuna Matata"¤)
Si Allah jabbi, it's a Pulaar phrase
Si Allah jabbi, it's what errrbody says
It means 'god willing'
For the rest of your stay
It's a don't-blame-me
Philosophy
Si Allah jabbi!
Inch- Allah! Inch-Allah!..........
(¤free style woo's, tapering off¤)
.........................................................................

There's probably a lot in there anyone outside Sengal will not get... I feel like it probably even needs a glossary. But I'm not making one. Just figure it's funny and know that the references you can understand are not exagerated. Feel free to ask questions if something in particular baffles you. Until then, I'm much too busy and talented to continue...

Talentedly Yours,
K

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

hahahahaha! Even without getting all the in country refs, it's still effing hysterical! Luckily I have enough familiarity with your dance moves to recreate what I hope is a fairly accurate version of your performance in my head.

(But I do know what schisto is because of a paper I wrote for my lake class last semester - so don't get that, eww.)

Brittany said...

:) Thank you SO much for sharing your hillarious lyrics... I can picture you three on "stage" and it makes me smile.
Hope all is going well back in your corner of Senegal.

~hugs~
former PCT Brittany

Allison said...

Oh my God... I'm finally catching up on your blog, and I just SHIT MY PANTS LAUGHING. I would have given anything to see you perform those songs. Priceless, K, absolutely priceless.