Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Senegal Soundtrack '08

"I think I must have a more complete sense of my total song inventory than anyone else has of theirs, except for professional singers. I know roughly which songs I know only the choruses of. I know which songs I know but discovered I couldn't stand to sing in the desert, You Are My Sunshine being a prime example of a song I loathed suddenly to which I had never had any objection previously... Songs help when you're under duress, which is undoubtedly why Boer geniuses of cruelty forbid people in solitary confinement to sing.
"I was singing so continuously that I began to find I disliked it when I stopped... I disliked the ambiance. I was briefly an aide in a nursery school for neglected children, and the best-adapted, happiest, and smartest children in the place were three sisters who had been taken from a mother who kept them chained to a radiator so they would be safe while she was out circulating, and who when I asked them what they did all the time when they were alone said We sang... On I sang."

from MATING, by Norman Rush


SENEGAL SOUNDTRACK '08

1. HOT HOT HOT- Sebastian the Crab?
2. INDIANA JONES (Stones) THEME SONG
3. BEAUTY & THE BEAST SONG (the one that starts, "Little town, it's a quiet village. Every day like the one before. Little town, full of little people, waking up to say... Bonjour!")
4. BIG BUTTS- Sir Mixalot (JAY FUUNDE if you will)
5. STUPID AMERICAN- Eddie from Ohio
6. I WANT CANDY- I forgot who sings this
7. THE ROAD IS LONG- Beatles?
8. I'VE GOT A BIKE (you can ride it if you like... who sings this?)
9. RIDIN' DIRTY- OK I need to learn my singers...
10. HEY, HEY, WE'RE THE MONKEES- Monkees
11. PEPTO BISMOL- Symptoms Jingle
12. SHOO, FLY- Your Kindergarten Teacher
13. DON'T GO CHASING WATERFALLS- TLC
14. STARRY, STARRY NIGHT- Don McLean
15. RIGHT SAID FRED, HAVE ANOTHER CUP OF TEA, WE WAS GETTIN' NOWHERE... (I don't know what this song is but my mom always used to sing it and it gets in my head all the time here)
16. BICYCLE RACE- Queen
17. OLD McDONALD HAD A FARM (see #12)
18. IT'S GETTIN' HOT IN HERR- Nelly
19. PRAYER CALLS- speakers all over ever Senegalese city seemingly planted right outside my windows
20. FAVORITE THINGS- Sound of Music (as per other entry)
21. IT'S RAINING, IT'S POURING- (#12, 17)
22. JAMMIN- Bob Marley (Jam tun! This English term actually came from West Africa!)
23. J'AI BESOIN D'AMOUR- I don't know, but the music video is hilarious
24. (anything)- Akon
25. COEUR DE PECHE THEME SONG- Brazillian Soap Opera with a cult following here
26. ------- Youssou N'Dour
27. SENEGALESE NATIONAL ANTHEM- ("Salut Afrique Meeeeeeeere!")
28. YOU'RE MY LITTLE POTATO- Mary's Mom and Minneapolis National Radio
29. I'M GOING SLIGHTLY MAD- Queen (my village will learn this before I leave)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I was intrigued by your reference to 'Pulaar' name of a dog and meaning thief?? I assume if you're eating pig you're not amongst the Pulaar speakers? (Though the reference to Allah's will would suggest Muslim contact - intriguing!) If you do have any Pulaar speaking friends would you like free copies of a paper in Pulaar for them? See http://soon.org.uk/fulani/free-papers.php

We mail them free of charge if specifically requested.

Thanks, Jane

Mary Beth said...

I really think you need to find a way to work Carmina Burana and/or pink pannies into that list. But then, isn't any soundtrack incomplete without them?