Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Thies again Thies again, Jiggity Jig

8/3 Back in Thies for IST and happy to see my host family even if they are my "throw-away" family. They've grown, and I know how to say things like that. Baby Ami doesn't cry anymore and reportedly has been chasing every toubab on the street shouting my name. They seemed happy to see me too. They even painted my room for me, put up hanging hooks, and gave me a door curtain! They asked a lot about the ville and it was strange to be in a position of authority as a legitimate resident of their own country. But village life really is a world away from them. Neene told me my body left and I must not be eating. Like a true neene! The boys snuggled up on me as much as they could before getting scolded.

Then something remarkable... With my 1st African host family, huddled and crowded on the ground around the family dinner bowl... we watched Jack Bauer save the president of the US. "24" has come to Senegal and they eat it up faster than cheb jen. Jack's french dramatics struck me as riotessly funny several times as I watched, grinning. I used to watch this in my Kirkland dorm room! So much better now.

1 comment:

Allison said...

grey's anatomy has also come to senegal! it's way racy, and bizarre dubbed in french.