Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Coping Mechanism Du Jour

You know how scary amusement park rides that make you nauseus are fun? You know how we stand in those rat maze lines for 3 hours just to get on and get that sick feeling? Good news-- you can just visit me to achieve a strikingly similar effect! For example, the lumo bus from Dinde Fello (Daniel's patrone village, 6k away, where I shop, featured in Lonely Planet). Even though it packs people in like I literally imagine smuggled refugees travel across borders in gas tanks, it creates the same I-could-lose-my-life thrill we all seek, presses you up against sweaty strangers, people still vomit, and you STILL get to wait several hours! All that's missing are the fanny packs and the cotton candy on your seat (although bisap juice makes a lovely substitute). After realizing this parallel, I feel much better about travel. I probably won't go to another amusement park again though, because I've decided the best part about these rides is and has always been GETTING OFF and telling your dizzy feet WE LIVED THROUGH IT!

3 comments:

Ryan Lindsay Bartz said...

dude...i need to catch up on your blog...i think you have more computer access than i do! but i'm reading now...more later. miss you...love you...all that jazz. your life sounds (is) waaaay more adventurous than mine. can't wait to visit. MB and i are planning : )

Allison said...

oh man, your blog makes me laugh. it's crazy how different your life is from mine, and yet there are so many things that i know exactly what you mean. i'm so excited to visit you. you need to give me a list of things to bring in addition to nutella... maybe clothespins? i am going to atlanta for a job interview right before i come visit you, so let me know what else i can bring...
we don't have washing machines in dakar either, if it makes you feel any better. and the dust is so bad that hanging clothes on the line makes them dirty again. i told my family this weekend that the first thing i will do when i get back to america is to wash all my clothes... in a machine! i am currently sporting a really intense henna manicure, courtesy of this same family, and i may or may not be engaged to their son. i know i said no, but sometimes they just plain ignore me. sometimes they also dress me, when they think i can't figure it out for myself. but they made me fried eggs for breakfast (sprinkled with salt, pepper, and maggi, of course) so all is forgiven.
i forget which post it was... but you threatened to eat a rooster and i almost died laughing. one of these days i will snap and eat my neighbor's sheep, brochette-style with onion sauce. it's a fair trade... he keeps me up at night, and he will taste good.
keep writing. send me a list of prioritized wishes, keeping in mind that everything will be traveling to you by sept-place in the heat/rain of june.
biz
allie

Sarah Cortright said...

i just caught up on your most recent entries of your blog and once again i just want to give you a hug because i think it's fabulous that you are finding the time to update it so often. it's so fascinating to read about what you're doing and amazing how lighthearted you keep all of you posts when i'm sure it must be stressful trying to communicate and adapt to a new culture. i love your anecdotes, though - especially the one about climbing the mango tree... i could just picture it - how wonderful!!
anyway, i miss you and thanks for updating. *hugs!*