Monday, May 19, 2008

Ode to a Disc-Man

I found the time and desperation to use my precious batteries to listen to music at last. The Crane Wife. It was spiritually massaging levels of good. I could cry. I like this CD in my cozy car on my lovely drive on smooth roads in the states. I am ready to marry it here, on my disc-man. (If you are silently mocking me for not having an i-pod, please send one in a tampon box.) I watch the drooping mangoes swing through my little window. Drying clothes that I helped to wash flutter and flap. The leaves swing and speckle to the beat of the music, over a milky mango sorbet sky. It's suspiciously perfect, as if the music waves join the dust winds and choreograph flawless branch dances just for me. I remember listening to CDs like this in college and watching computer swirls made to illustrate the music. In dark rooms we were hypnotized, wondering how high we were. How wrong we were and how sure I am now that there is no high like this.

3 comments:

Allison said...

I AM COMING TO VISIT YOU!!!! WHEN WHEN WHEN CAN I COME??? I sort of want to get there before the rains get too intense, something tells me sept-places don't make good boats. incha allah air senegal did manage to get me home from zig in one piece, but i'm not sure if i trust them going inland...

ps- i will bring tampons to exchange for peanut butter!

KStones said...

bring jelly instead! come any time, the ride is never easy... now is good, i'm sure the rains and waterfall will come soon!

Ryan Lindsay Bartz said...

ahh the crane wife! that was a moving post kid. actualyl when i was sleeping in my tent and it was fucking cold outside i would fall asleep to that cd every night. "it was a cold night...and the snow lay round...i pulled my coat tight...against the falling down...and the sun was all down..." i should start a ipod for katie fund